Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

England to Australia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janine

Janine Report 1 Nov 2004 10:23

Where would I find records of somebody leaving England to live in Australia? Cheers Janine

Gemma

Gemma Report 1 Nov 2004 11:30

Hi Janine What sort of dates?. Don't forget that in your local Family records office there are miscellaneous indexes for British people abroad. Eg, British consular registers of birth, deaths and marriages ect. Was he in the Army and is that why he moved?.

Janine

Janine Report 1 Nov 2004 11:53

Hi Gemma - I'm not too sure about dates. All I know is my grandmother Kathleen Drake b.1915 in Morley came to Australia before 1939 - she married in 1939 in Australia. However I do not know if she came on her own or with her family. On her marriage certificate she listed her father George Drake as a 'Traveller' for occupation. Is ther such a thing. Cheers Janine from OZ

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 1 Nov 2004 12:31

Hi Janine. I had a look at the Shipping Records i have into Australia. There was a Miss L.DRAKE departure 19th Aug 1929, from Southampton, to Australia, on the RMS MATAROA. Unfortunatley, it dosen't state which Port on Arrival. She was alone, with no other DRAKE listed on board. Could this be her? http://www.blaxland.com/ozships/

Janine

Janine Report 1 Nov 2004 12:43

Hi there Anthony - No I don't think that would be her. I have pretty much exhausted every avenue in trying to find my grandmother. I am now waiting on a reply from DOC's in NSW to see if they will release information on her. My father was placed as a Ward of the State at an early age - so if I can't find anything there i probably never will. BUT I REFUSE TO GIVE UP. Cheers Janine

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 1 Nov 2004 12:56

Never ever give up Janine. My Grandad did the same thing to me, and i could never find a record of his arrival into Australia. 1915. He died in 1947, two years before i was born. Then one day i found his pension claim form, and on it was all the detail of when he arrived, how long he had been in Oz,plus the Ship he arrived on, the port he sailed from, and the Date. Good Luck. Tony.

Janine

Janine Report 1 Nov 2004 13:07

Thanks Tony - I think I'm too stubborn to give up anyway. (A true Taurean) And thankyou for your words of support. I must admit there are times I think there might be a link only to get my hopes dashed. But I bounce back pretty good. I have just realised it's past midnight - I do not think my 10month old son is going to let me have a sleep in - so I'd better get off to bed. Goodnight & Cheers Janine