Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Am I a Gypsy?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deryn

Deryn Report 31 Oct 2004 17:54

Hi my g.grandad is on the census in 1871. Under occupation it has "Traveller in (looks like) Leeds. He was living in Sheffield at the time of the census. Well, maybe just for the night! So was he a salesman or a Gypsy?

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Oct 2004 18:41

Who knows? Can you find him on other documentation - a wedding cert (his own or his children's), or his death cert, or another census, which might shed light on his occupation? Who is on the census next to him - lots of other "travellers", what is his address? nell

Deryn

Deryn Report 31 Oct 2004 18:50

The house he spent the night of the census in was in Tatham Street Castleton, Lancashire. Not Yorkshire where Leeds is. There is one older woman who is head of household and the rest are all young guys in 20's down as lodgers. No travellers though - only him as traveller. I dont have any other info that has anything on regarding occupation. I have only recently found him. He died when he was 39 leaving wife and two children. In the 1881 census he is down as a Cashier though! It's very strange....he was born in Sheffield.

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Oct 2004 18:51

As his address isn't a field and he's staying in a lodging house I would guess he was a salesman. As you've got the year he died it would probably be worth getting his death cert to see what that says. nell

Deryn

Deryn Report 31 Oct 2004 18:57

Thanks will do. If he was a Gypsy can I go claim a caravan and field of my own? Could do with a nice field......

Heather

Heather Report 1 Nov 2004 18:16

I would have thought a gypsy wouldnt have been keen on having his details taken by the authorities. Think he was a travelling salesman who settled down to being a cashier when the travelling got a bit much for him!

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Nov 2004 18:34

Looks to me like a Travelling Salesman. They tended to use words like Itinerant for what we call New Age Travellers and Gypsies. Jim (Who's ambition is to buy a Mobile Home and become an Old Age Traveller)

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 1 Nov 2004 18:49

could it be Seeds? Greenhouses and conservatories and exotic plants were a Victorian craze