Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Grandfather who told lies on marriage cert

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lesley

Lesley Report 31 Oct 2004 15:34

Hi I have the marriage certificate of my grandfather, Charles Walton who married Margaret stewart in hawick in 1897 the problem is he has put his parents as George Walton (foreman Mason) mother Mary Calashaw. I think he was born in England around 1874 haven't a clue where! My nana his daughter told me Charles was the black sheep of a well to do family who owned a quarry in England somewhere and that his father kicked him out. I can track him in scotland until 1901 and presume he was still living in 1928 when nana married as he is down on her marriage cert and it doesn't say deceased. Nana says he changed his name and took his mothers maiden name this doesn't add up, as he went by the name of Walton and his mothers maiden name was Calashaw I have tried all sorts of variations on this name and come up with ziltch. Also the name Calashaw doesn't seem to exist. Nana died in 1997 and none of my other rellies have any info except my mum thinks he could have come from Bolton and my Auntie thinks it could be Barrow, when i did a google search there is more than one of both places. Can anyone point me in the right direction pleeze. I have been trying to find him for three years off and on and don't know whether to give up completely? Thanks Lesley

Pat

Pat Report 31 Oct 2004 15:40

Lesley I have heard of the name Calshaw but never Calashaw? Maybe try that one. I think all families have these stories and some are based on fact but they vary them slightly. maybe take some of it with a pinch of salt. Pat x

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Oct 2004 17:27

The fact that he is not listed as "deceased" on Nana's marriage cert doesn't mean he wasn't, I'm afraid. How old is he on the census - is his age consistent for 1881/1901? nell

Willy

Willy Report 31 Oct 2004 17:32

Hi Lesley,l had a Grandfather (he lied because he was born out of wed lock) and Great Grandfather (so he could get into army,also he was born out of wed lock).So dont worry you are not the only one,.Good luck with your research. WIZZ