Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish Roots - Catholic Record Office - Preston

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andy

Andy Report 31 Oct 2004 11:35

I am trying to find details of my Irish ancestors that arrived in England in Lancashire area. I understand a good link is the Catholic Records Office at Preston. Does anyone know off such an office, or where I might best try, with possible contact details. I would be most grateful for any advice given.

Giles

Giles Report 31 Oct 2004 11:38

Hi, You might be able to help me... Were Catholics less likely to register a birth in Ireland? Is there records available for all Catholic baptisms around the 1900 period?

John

John Report 31 Oct 2004 11:40

I'm not sure Andy. Lancashire CRO might be able to help and they're based in Preston: www.movinghere.org.uk/about/laro.htm

Andy

Andy Report 31 Oct 2004 11:41

Not sure, this my first crack at my Irish roots, but will keep you posted - perhaps others can advise......

June

June Report 31 Oct 2004 12:00

Andy, Maybe this will help you. The Lancashire Record Office Bow Lane Preston. Phone:- 01772 533039 Email:- record(.)office@ed(.)lanscc(.)gov(.)uk Please remove the brackets This is silly the site will not let me put the email address on, I will email you direct June

Paul

Paul Report 31 Oct 2004 14:24

All Irish BMD's were supposed to be registered from 1864, with non-catholic marriages from 1845. Even so, some were still missed for a variety of reasons such as moving from place to place, emigration, and just plain and simply missed out. Sometimes they turn up as additions to later quarters, and even then they can be incorrect in date, and numerous years later. Paul

Seasons

Seasons Report 31 Oct 2004 16:06

When I enquired about parish records c 1900 - I was told to go to Preston - haven't got there yet though