Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tribal Pages - Fees!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amanda

Amanda Report 31 Oct 2004 03:26

See below.

Amanda

Amanda Report 31 Oct 2004 03:35

Tonight I checked my tree on tribal pages, and discovered that they have now added ads to the home page. I went on to the page where you can see what's new (what has been recently added) and found that they are now mentioning fees to upgrade. Upgrades listed are no adverts on your homepage, more space for pics, and a better ranking in the search for your names etc. At the moment I see no charges in place for this, but it has been mentioned on the Tribal message boards that if you send a donation to the site you automatically get upgraded. How many of us on GR use this site and what do you all think of the fees and donations!!!

Sprack

Sprack Report 31 Oct 2004 07:15

I use tribalpages amanda and put my tree on there as a back-up when gc were having problems once because it was recomended as a good free site to display your tree and photos, I wouldn`t make a donation and it would depend on how much the fee would be before I decided to upgrade although I already have over 200 photos on there so I wouldn`t want to add many more. jenny x

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 31 Oct 2004 10:00

Have used it for ages as it's probably the best for displaying your tree. I block adds so they are no problem. Bob

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 31 Oct 2004 10:09

Hi Amanda Thanks for the information. That must have happened in the last week cos I didn't notice it last weekend. I have a tree on there and was always aware that they may introduce a fee at a later date. I suppose we'll have to see what the fee is before I decide whether it's worth it. I hope it's not too much as I rather like the site. Personally I wouldn't make a donation in order to get an upgrade as I'm quite happy with what they offer now. Jeanette

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Oct 2004 11:08

I have my tree on Tribal Pages. I was not aware that they were going to become a pay site.

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 31 Oct 2004 13:04

I've just had a look at my TribalPages website and can find no mention of fees. A advert has appeared across the top of the home page, but I don't think this is going to be too much of a hindrance. It certainly isn't as irritating as the ones at the top and left of the GR site!! There is no mention of fees on the 'What's New' page - and when you click on 'Donations' it says 'we are no longer accepting donations'... I'm still a fan of TribalPages and think it's a brilliant way of displaying your tree.

Amanda

Amanda Report 1 Nov 2004 01:14

Technical Message Board Explained Reply Author: TP Support Date: Oct 31, 1:02 PM In Reply To: Re:Fees for TP. by: Sandra There are three levels: [1] Free Site: (which is the what one gets when they register with TribalPages). The free sites have advertisements and are limited to 10Mb of storage space. [2] Standard Site: For $12, Free sites can upgrade to Standard. Standard sites have no advertisements and have 25 Mb of storage. [3] Premium Site: For $24, Free sites can upgrade to Premium Site. For $12, Standard sites can upgrade to Premium. Some members have been automatically upgraded from Free to Standard. These are members who had made a donation before we introduced the upgrade scheme. Others were upgraded for different reasons (for example members who have been with us for a long time and have already gone over the 10Mb limit). If you did not donate nor pay for an upgrade, and your site does not have advertisements, it means that TribalPages have given you an upgrade from Free to Standard site at NO COST TO YOU. You can continue to use this upgrade for a year without any payments. You do have the option to upgrading from Standard to Premium for $12. ******************************************** This is the information I found tonight on the technical message board. I did not think I was going crazy and had actually saw something about fees. Just thought I'd make GR members aware of the new changes of the free, standard and premium sites available for their use, as nothing good lasts for ever without having to pay sometime or later. Amanda P. (eating son's halloween candy)

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 3 Nov 2004 20:16

You must have exceeded your 10Mb limit then. SIoux