Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

first timer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 31 Oct 2004 00:01

hi ive never attempted to look up any family/ancestors before but have always been interested firstly im looking for my father and dont really have a clue on how to look for him so if anyone could be kind enough to give me a hint on where to start i would be grateful Lisa

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 31 Oct 2004 00:29

Hi Lisa, try talking to relatives, do you have any cerificates you can go bye? or a family bible? i was lucky to have a family bible that was handed down from my g.g.grandmother, also i remembered what my nan had told me when i was younger, she died when i was 18. there are many sites on the net you can go to, depending what years you are searching, this is a good one for 1881,http://www.familysearch.org/ or freebmd,there are loads more, i'm sure someone else will come up with more. good luck in your search, and don't forget you will always get hints and help on here. chris.

Carol

Carol Report 31 Oct 2004 01:20

If you have your own birth certificate, is you father`s name on it. Have you any idea how old he was when you were born or does anyone else? Once you have a rough idea of his year of birth, you will need to look in the birth index then get his birth certificate which will show his parents including mothers maiden name. If you scroll down the page and click on New to GR on the left green panel, it will give a lot of tips on getting started.

Lisa

Lisa Report 31 Oct 2004 17:10

hi christine thanx for your help my mother is still alive but im not allowed to talk to her about my father, something happened when i was a child and she just clams up about it so i cant really ask her for any information, but i do have a rough idea of when he was born so ill start there. no doubt ill be back asking for more advice but this should get me started thanx again to all replies Lisa