Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

missing person how can i locate him?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carrie in Godalming

Carrie in Godalming Report 30 Oct 2004 22:28

how do i find out if a relative was either in hospital, in prison or emigrated etc during the 1891 census? i have a family and there is wife married but no husband. i have seen the image of the census so i know its not mistranscribed. by 1901 all the family had vanished!! the children would have only been 11-14. any ideas? corrina

Judith

Judith Report 30 Oct 2004 23:44

If he was in the country the census should show where; though of course he may have been mistranscribed, and if he was in some sort of institution he might have been recorded by first initial and surname, or even just initials. Then again he might have emigrated in search of work or been serving abroad in the army. I'm not much help am I! Judith

Carrie in Godalming

Carrie in Godalming Report 31 Oct 2004 12:05

Thats quite alright!! its all a bit of a puzzle as the whole family disappeared by 1901! plus his mother and father moved every 10 years and all the girls went into service all over the place! families! corrina