Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sending info to Family Members

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jon

Jon Report 30 Oct 2004 18:47

Does anybody know of decent software to allow me to create a 'family tree' on CD/DVD for distribution to other members of my family. I'm looking for something that can be viewed on a computer with easy navigation as well as being able to link to photo albums for each member (which will include scans of certificates, news clips etc etc). Any thoughts would be appreciated. Rgds Jon

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 30 Oct 2004 18:51

Rather than a disc or dvd you could put all that on tribal pages. Its a great site for this sort of thing and it can be password protected etc. Give it the once over. www.tribalpages.*com

Jon

Jon Report 30 Oct 2004 18:57

Hi Janet, I did look at that although some of my relatives do not have the internet. I also wanted to produce like a 'commemoration CD' for birthdays etc, this would be ideal as it will always be growing as I find more and more 'lost' relatives. If that makes sense. Rgds Jon

Judy

Judy Report 30 Oct 2004 23:33

GENOPRO is an excellent program to use for what you want to do.....it's a free program that can be had at www.genopro(.)com. You can either start a tree with this program or open an existing tree you started with another program using genopro. I used this program for distrubuting my family tree at our last family reunion and it was a hit! You can add history, pictures, documents, etc......You can then either create a .ged formatted report or with the push of a button your information is turned into a report that works like a webpage (html formatted.) The html format can be burned to CD disk or posted on your own website....which I did both. The great thing about the html format is that others you share with don't need to have any special program on their computer in order to view. Judy

Jon

Jon Report 31 Oct 2004 09:33

Judy, Thanks for the info, I'm downloading it now and will put it through its paces. Rgds Jon