Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Question about 1837online

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracey

Tracey Report 29 Oct 2004 18:01

I've just found this site today - I've been working on my family history on and off for the last year. I'm trying to find out when my great grandfather married my great grandmother as his first wife died. I expected to be able to look at certificates online but am finding just listings - is this correct or should I b able to look directly at certificates without having to buy them. I have bought 50 credits. Cheers, Tracey

Roy

Roy Report 29 Oct 2004 18:04

Unfortunately you can only see the copies of the record books, if you need certificates you'll need to take the reference numbers and order in the conventional way through the gov sites.

Irene

Irene Report 29 Oct 2004 18:05

Hi Tracey That right you can't view the records only look up the details and then send off for the certificate. If they were married in a church you could look at the certificate in the family history centre, this has to be the local one for the county in which they were born, married or were buried. Irene

Nichola

Nichola Report 29 Oct 2004 18:08

Hi Tracey, Dont be put off, it's straight forward to get hold of certificates and quite quick. Just follow the links to order the certifcates once you know the references and it only takes about 7 days to receive them. Provided you dont live abroad that is. Cost £7 a cert but if you're not sure you can submit checking references then it will only cost £3 if its not the right certificate for you. Nicky

Kitty

Kitty Report 29 Oct 2004 18:11

I'm new to all this and I didn't find these listings very helpful as several names I have the right date for aren't listed, why would this be do you think?

Tracey

Tracey Report 29 Oct 2004 18:13

OK - thanks. It's very expensive isn't it!! I keep choosing the wrong quarters and years to search. I know that his last child with his first wife was born in 1895. His first child with my great grandmother was born in 1900, so I guess I have quite a large timescale to search through. And maybe they didn't even marry before their first child. When you say I should take the references and then order through the gov sites can you clarify what the gov sites are? These people were all born in Wales. I think I've got the references sussed - that's the district, vol and page right? Thanks again to all. Tracey

Tracey

Tracey Report 29 Oct 2004 18:16

Thanks Irene. How do I find out where the family history centre is? Is there a website? Honestly, how did people do this before the web??

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 29 Oct 2004 18:23

Tracey Try searching on FreeBMD first. It's a free site but it isn't complete yet. It could save you a few pennies though Jeanette x

Nichola

Nichola Report 29 Oct 2004 18:24

Tracey you order the certificates through the GRO. General Registry Office. Just follow the 'order certificates' link from 1837online. Register on the GRO site and your off. Nicky