Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What to do when you just can't get any further - a

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Simon

Simon Report 29 Oct 2004 15:36

See Below

Simon

Simon Report 29 Oct 2004 15:36

I'm more or less at the stage with my tree now where most of the relatively 'easy' stuff has been done, aside from the more generic 'lifestyle' research. What I mean is, that I've got most branches pretty much confirmed, via certs etc back past 1837. Some of my branches then go further back to a lesser or greater extent, until eventually they each end at a brickwall of some sort or another. What tips and advice can people give on pushing further back, particularly when all the usual sources draw a blank. For example, one of my branches ends with a woman born in 1773. Her marriage in 1795 is recorded but nothing else. Following pretty extensive research no baptism record has shown itself. So, what happens next ? Is that it - do I now give up on this branch as completed ? What steps have others taken that have enabled them to move further back given limited records etc. Interested in any advice. Simon

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 29 Oct 2004 16:07

Nice thread Simon! I'm in a similar position. I'm trying to prove that my 4x great Grandfather is the son of the person I think is my 5x great Grandfather. It's not easy. I've had a look for a will but it doesn't appear he left one. Perhaps if there are siblings you could look to see if they appear as witnesses at each others weddings. Perhaps any petty session records or poor law records might give a clue. I'm looking forward to any replies to this thread that might help Jeanette x

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 29 Oct 2004 16:26

Hi Simon, I do as much of my research as I can at the county record offices, so I get to see the original records. Like June, I also search all the wills in that area for that name, and if it's a small village I also search other wills for connections. I've searched parish records for settlements, removals, apprenticeships, bastardy records, militia, manorial and estate records, enclosure and tithe records.....quarter sessions.....anything I can find for people with that name. And it's worked on numerous occasions. Sometimes I start tracing people who could be siblings and look to see where they came from. It's all trial and error, but theres so much info at a record office and the staff are very helpful. Most have personal names indexes and a whole host of other stuff that can help point you in the right direction. Best of luck, Cazza

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 29 Oct 2004 18:05

The 1700s is a really tiresome period. There just aren't the county-wide records you find in both the 1800s and the 1600s. If the surname is unusual, look at every index you can find. Besides what is on the net, there are masses of printed volumes. Hearth taxes, lay subsidies, exchequer deponents, ANYTHING with names, places and dates. That will give you a feel for where a name is likely to occur. If the name is common, begin with the parish where you last found them and look at as many records connected with the parish as possible. Land tax assessments can be useful: you can tell when a property changes hands. Some record offices have collections of deeds, now often on A2A. Women are always harder to trace because they don't appear in as many records, but they will often introduce unusual names into the family to provide extra clues. Cazza's list is pretty comprehensive: you are really limited only by your imagination and the amount of time at your disposal. Brenda

Janet

Janet Report 29 Oct 2004 20:45

Simon Cazza's list is pretty well it. The record office is the only place to really research all these things. Ask yourself these questions. How did you get to where you are now? Have you used the Record Offices? Have you used Bishops Transcripts or Fiche to go further back on the Baptismal/Marriage records in the Record Offices? Have you used the Phillimores Atlas and Index to Parishes to ascertain whether or not your last sighting is on a border county so you may need to trawl other parishes initially within a 3 mile radius and increase to 10 if no luck and this may mean going on to the next county. Sideways moves to siblings may also help to locate them. Certainly the name index boxes are wonderful. I have found so many this way. Marriage licences may also help, the list is endless but you just need the time to get to the record office as Brenda has said. You have said you have one whose marriage recorded in a place and nothing else. I have many like that that I had to trawl through other parishes to find them. This is typical of the times. She gets married, probably in her own home town, and then moves with husband to his place of work, probably up to 10 miles away and has her family. If you are on borders of counties like mine are, they are a headache, but the bliss when you find them is wonderful, yes it can be done. Wills can be useful but not everybody left a will, but just because you have ag labs as ancestors do not think that they did not leave wills because many did. Also back in the 1700's the medical side of giving birth was non-existent which meant that when the young mother died in childbirth that the man looked around for another wife smartly as there might be 6 children already and no way could he work and look after children so those second marriages will be very common so remember to look for any sign of 2 or 3 marriages. Janet

Amanda

Amanda Report 30 Oct 2004 02:33

Interesting thread - Needs a nudge.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Oct 2004 10:35

Are any of your surnames registered by the Guild of One Name Studies? I know someone who is a registered member for a name and she has an amazing amount of information collected over many years. They have an obligation to share information as long as it's not of the 'Tell me all you know about the BROWNs' variety. There is an online list of names on the site of the Guild of One Name Studies.( sometimes called G.O.O.N.S.)