Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Married alone?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 29 Oct 2004 09:58

Can anyone please tell me why having searched for ages for one particular rellies marriage - joy I find her listed and then when I click to see "other persons on same page" there is zilch? Scream. Does that mean it couldnt be read or was on the next page?

Is it a bird? is it a plane?

Is it a bird? is it a plane? Report 29 Oct 2004 10:13

Is this on FreeBMD?

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 29 Oct 2004 10:14

Hi, Free BMD is far from complete. If you are sure you have the right person send for the cert anyway. Gwynne

Jean

Jean Report 29 Oct 2004 11:14

I searched for my Grandfathers marriage for ages and got nowhere. Then put in g'mothers name and found it with no g'father. Took a chance and sent for the certificate after speaking to the GRO and told them the names and the certificate arrived, the right one. If you know both names its worth a try. Good luck, Jean

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 29 Oct 2004 11:16

I tried that Jean........the year seemed right as well......but it was the wrong one unfortunately. But it's worth a try. I didn't have to pay for the cert.....just a search fee.

Jean

Jean Report 29 Oct 2004 12:43

Isn't it maddening Karen. I was so pleased when I found that one as G'fathers name was Smith and I wasn't getting anywhere with the family. The other g'father was Jones!! Haven't got very far with either of that side but doing quite well with both g'mothers line.

Carol

Carol Report 29 Oct 2004 13:34

Heather, if you give me what you have and the name you are hoping to find, I will have a look on 1837 for you.

Heather

Heather Report 31 Oct 2004 15:46

Hi thats really kind of you guys. Actually, I was telling 80 year old auntie about this and she suddenly said, oh his name was ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,! So there you are! I then fed him in and he popped up on his own too. I think they must have been put on different pages by accident. It does just show you though that elderly rellies know so much more than they first think or say. I am going to my 90 year old dad again shortly with a notebook and pen this time, because when I went through a box of old photos with him suddenly he was remembering names, dates, anecdotes about all these people who he had never mentioned before.

Irene

Irene Report 31 Oct 2004 17:48

Can I also add, write the names down on the back of the pictures. Get copies if you can, I had a cousin, well my mothers cousin, she had lots of photos and said I could copy them any time. When I thought ealier this year I had better do it I had a bit of a shock, they had all been taken down the dump as none of her family wanted them, she forgot I was interested but I can't blame her for that as she is getting old. What really saddens me there were pictures of my granddad which I had never seen, he died in WW1 and my Aunt and Uncle distroyed everything when nan died. I only have one picture of him with his medals from the Boar war and this was my last chance and I missed it. So everyone out there get your rellies to save the pictures and copy them before they go missing. Irene

Helen

Helen Report 31 Oct 2004 19:59

Hi Irene - I agree with you totally. When my Nan was leaving her own house to move in with my Mum & Dad, she started going through all her 'junk' and ripped up photos, certificates, the lot. Helen