Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What do you think?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 28 Oct 2004 23:24

What do you think the likelihood is that the name Macaree could have once been Makeres? It's in the correct area for my lot but approx 150 years before they appear on IGI. I realise there is probably absolutely no way I will ever be able to prove a link but.......

Keith

Keith Report 28 Oct 2004 23:28

Hi, Macaree is in the Oxford Names Companion, but Makeres doesn't appearat all. Transcription error maybe? Keith

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 28 Oct 2004 23:33

It's a PCC will from 1515 of a Percyvall Makeres of the parisshe of Saint Stephyns, so anything is possible. Maven't heard of the Oxford names companion, looks like I'll be wandering to my local bookshop tomorrow.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Oct 2004 23:38

Janet, I think it is exremely possible, having looked through parish registers from 16th century, when the name Kackermool slowly changed to Cattermole! Try saying both names through your teeth, with a 'local accent'!!!! Makare(s) could also be pronounced Macaree(s) maggie

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 28 Oct 2004 23:48

Thanks to you both. This is what I thought but I do like having another opinion. Now all I've got to do is fill in the intervening 150 years and prove all the stuff on the IGI and the link between the Macaree silk weavers in Shoreditch and the Macaree silk weavers in Canterbury. Should only take me 50 years or so!