Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wills

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Scrummy

Scrummy Report 28 Oct 2004 14:40

Where will I find a Will for someone who died 1858 in St Botolphs City of London pse

Judith

Judith Report 28 Oct 2004 14:57

All wills proved after January 1858 are indexed centrally on the National Probate index. My local county records office has this on fiche from 1858 to the 1940s. I have used this to check that ancestors have left wills and then ordered copies the Postal Searches and Copies Department, The Probate Registry, Castle Chambers, Clifford Street, York, YO1 9RG. A copy of a will costs £5 if you can provide name, date and address as on the index.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 28 Oct 2004 15:44

If you're ever looking for a City Will from earlier, you could do worse than try: http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/corporation/wills/index.htm They have images for sale, much like Documents Online - who also have Wills. http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ They have 30 Wills for people between 1850 & 1880 with the word Botolph in the place-name. good hunting Christine

Janet

Janet Report 28 Oct 2004 16:49

All Wills from 1858 to include London are all based at High Holborn. If you can access London easily yourself it is very easy to look for a will and then pay your £5 over the counter for a copy of the will to be sent to you. Janet

Anne

Anne Report 2 Nov 2004 13:36

Lyla. Yes I have sent for several wills from York. You are right about the cheque payee being HM Paymaster General. I do not send a SAE but I do copy out EXACTLY the wording in the Probate calendar. I havn't had a mistake yet and they are quite quick (about a week I think) Anne

Anne

Anne Report 22 Nov 2004 15:24

nudge