Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Heres a Scottish conundrum

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 28 Oct 2004 11:52

Can anyone help find the wife of my Great Uncle, Henry David Horstead born 1874 in Wapping London please? I understand from my elderly aunt that Henry or David as he seemed to be known, married a Scottish girl and had at least two children. He died young and she returned to her parents in Scotland "somewhere near Glasgow" who apparently had a few tobacconist shops. Theres one to stretch the minds!! Cant find him marrying her, cant find him dying, cant find the kids - Aliens again?

Ema

Ema Report 28 Oct 2004 12:21

Hi Here are a couple for website that have been recommended to me in the last week or so. Not sure if they will be able to help you, but it's worth a try. www.scotsgenealogy.com/ www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Heather

Heather Report 28 Oct 2004 13:34

Many thanks, I will have a go but I just cant believe how many of my ancestors disappear into thin air.

Lynne

Lynne Report 28 Oct 2004 14:40

Hi Can you find him on the 1901 census? If so, is he married by then? If he is married by then you will have his wifes first name at least and maybe some kiddies names to help you. If he is not married by then, then you will have narrowed down when you are looking for a marriage (after 1901). Hopefully he was still alive then! Lynne

Heather

Heather Report 28 Oct 2004 17:24

No Lynne, I cant find him at all after his birth!!

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 28 Oct 2004 18:30

Unfortunately he is single in 1901 living with his parents and siblings. If you haven't got the image send me your e-mail address and I will send.

Tc

Tc Report 28 Oct 2004 18:37

Heather On 1891 Henry living in 2 Oak Cottages Rotherhithe with Dad,Edward 51,Mam Emily 50, brothers Edward 19 ,James 8, Sisters Mary 14,Charlotte 12 Bobbo

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 28 Oct 2004 19:17

Hi Heather I have had a look on Scotland's People and no sign of him on Scottish records either marrying or dying.. Sorry Christine

Heather

Heather Report 28 Oct 2004 19:45

Many thanks guys, thats really good of you all but looks like this is gonna be another brick wall in the search, eh?