Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wondering Why....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maryann

Maryann Report 27 Oct 2004 16:28

I have found, whom I think, is my gggranny on the 1871 census. She is living with her step-father and son George - age 18. As I went further though this tiny village I found an Edmund age 18. These were the only Gibson's in the village. On the strength of being family names and clutching at straws, I checked the IGI and found them, with the same parents. The records show that George was christened on 7 Aug 1852 and Edmund on 12 Sept 1852. Has anyone any idea's why? I've also checked the 1837 and the entry has the same page number for them both. Do you think they could be twins? Many thanks Mary

Darryl

Darryl Report 27 Oct 2004 16:37

It does sound likely that they were twins. The difference in dates of baptism may have been that one twin was smaller and weaker and was christened early in case he did not survive. Sometimes this is noted on parish registers as a "private baptism", often conducted at the family home rather than in church.

Maryann

Maryann Report 27 Oct 2004 16:41

Darryl Thank's for that, Thought that might be the case. Mary

Heather

Heather Report 27 Oct 2004 17:11

But I suppose you would then wonder why both boys werent with the parents? Could it be a brother's son born around the same time and mistranscribed in the records?

Tc

Tc Report 27 Oct 2004 17:28

Hi Think you will only know for definate if you send for both birth certs or look at Parish Record entry for baptism

Maryann

Maryann Report 27 Oct 2004 18:12

Heather. Thank you, did not think of that. Bobbo. Your right - that's my next step - cost's you a fortune this family treeing!!!! Regards Mary

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Oct 2004 18:13

Can you find them in 1861. If they are brothers/twins they are more likely to be in the same household at 8 years old.

Maryann

Maryann Report 27 Oct 2004 18:15

Heather. Sorry forgot to say, Edmund was a servant - coach driver, he 'lived in' Mary

Maryann

Maryann Report 27 Oct 2004 18:17

Hi Gwyneth Got it on order.... hope it comes soon. Mary