Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Turner & Welch Paper Mill - Tovill, Maidstone

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 27 Oct 2004 08:44

Has anyone any idea where I could find out who the owners of the above mill were in the early 19thc? It doesn't appear to exist today (at least not under that name) but I have reason to suspect that an ancestor may have either owned it or worked there. I have located it in Pigot's directory of 1824. Many thanks. Helen

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Oct 2004 08:54

Helen I had a look on a2a (Access to Archives) - nothing. also googled, but again nothing of use. I imagine Maidstone public library might have some info, or alternatively, the records office could have the company archive (if there was one which survived). nell

Ian

Ian Report 27 Oct 2004 20:24

Helen, all the paper mills at Tovil have long since closed and been pulled down. As a suggestion, maybe the local newspaper might have something in their archives? I do not know how helpful they might be, but always worth a try. Kent Messanger is the local paper, they have an office in Maidstone, if I recall. Ian

Ann

Ann Report 27 Oct 2004 21:10

Helen, My gtx3 grandfather Henry Ratcliffe also worked at a Mill in Tovil (although spellings varied in the past it is now spelt with one l). He was married there in 1850 and worked at the mill at the time of the 1851 census - living on Tovil Hill. He stayed there for another few years before moving to nearby Loose - still as a Miller. I spent sometime a year or so ago trying to track down some information about the Mill. I'm not sure if we are talking about the same mill, but if we are you are correct that it has changed its name several times. It has also changed use. We actually walked around the area of the old mill, unfortunately both the house where my ancestors lived and the church they were married in (St Stephens) are no longer there. I will have a look and see what info I have saved. In the meanwhile here are a few websites: www(.)reedstargetshootingclub(.)co(.)uk/site(.)htm www(.)aylesford-newsprint(.)co(.)uk/Viewrelease.asp?table=recycle&id=8&id8=2&data=73 www(.)visit(.)maidstone(.)btinternet(.)co(.)uk/Hist.htm There is a lady who is researching papermakers and has a list of names she is compiling. Unfortunately, my rely wasn't in her list and there is some question as to whether he was a papermaker or some other sort of miller. Anyway I hope you find out more. I'd be interested to know how you know that your ancestor is connected with a particular mill. Good luck, Ann

Helen

Helen Report 28 Oct 2004 08:49

Many thanks to all of you - may have to go to Maidstone! My ancestor was John Turner, born around 1790 in Dartford. The family moved to Maidstone (first living in Barming and then - I think - moving to Tovil, although I've not been able to find them on any censuses). I know he was a papermaker and have been told that he had his own company. Obviously this mill has the correct name so, as a guess, I wondered if this did belong to my John. I will see if I can contact Maidstone Library and the Kent Messenger and have a look at those websites. Thanks again. Helen