Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Burials in Canada..... advice please!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 26 Oct 2004 18:01

I think I have found my gggg grandmother's sister's burial in Ontario, Canada. She was christened, Ann DUSOLEI, and she married John BARNETT in 1824 in London. Now the record I have found says "Dusolei, Ann (w/o John Barnett)..... Why is she not buried with her married name??

Pearl

Pearl Report 27 Oct 2004 02:20

I am not sure about Ontario - I am from Quebec but I don't imagine the logic is too much different in neighboring provinces. In Quebec, married names are used by "custom" only; birth names are the only names recognized by law. The reason is simple: women might marry several times and change names each time. This makes it increasingly difficult for the government to track repayment of student loans or entitlement to benefits. In all likelihood, your relative used her husband's name socially and her burial records say "widow of..." or "wife of..." but her legal name was probably the one she was born with.

Carol

Carol Report 27 Oct 2004 02:30

Chloe, I have, or rather someone in Canada has ordered the cemetery records on cd for Cataraqui cemetery. I found some of my ancestors on the OCFA and they were named by their maiden name, which in my case, made it a lot easier for me to find them.

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 27 Oct 2004 07:27

Thanks. It has made it a lot easier to find her. I was just confused as to why she used her maiden name. Chloe