Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 25 Oct 2004 18:36

Hi am new to this so please be patient!! I have found on the LDS that my GGx3 Joseph Button, was christened at St Peters in Yorkshire in 1828, it shows his Public Records Office Reference No and family etc and I now want to order a birth certificate for him, BUT, I need the GRO number which I cannot find anywhere. Have done the batch number search (Hugh Wallis thingy!) but cannot find an actual birth date for him anywhere! I know his Father was called John and his Mother Ann but have no more details. Can anyone advice me as to what to do next??? Am getting a headache!!!!!!!!!!!

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 25 Oct 2004 18:39

Hi Linda Civil registration only started in 1837. You can look at microfilm copies of the parish register, if that is where the entry comes from, but you cannot order a birth certificate at that date. Brenda

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 25 Oct 2004 18:48

Hi Linda, As Brenda says, you can only get his baptism at this date, but in 1828 the baptism registers were uniform, and should (if filled in correctly) give you the date of baptism (I've also seen the date of birth, or age at baptism added on the side many times), the name of the child and its parent(s), the father's occupation and their present abode (for rural areas usually just the village or an area, such as a hamlet in the village; for towns and cities it's usually the street). The LDS only give the minimum of information, as it's just an index, so the original baptism entry should give you much, if not all, of the above details. If you contact the Record Office which covers St. Peter's they can advise you about getting a photocopy. Cazza

Linda

Linda Report 25 Oct 2004 18:58

Thanks a bunch for your help! Much appreciated and of more help than paracetamols!