Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SITES FOR CENSUS PLEASE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deryn

Deryn Report 24 Oct 2004 20:26

Hi, please tell me which sites are best for which census. Preferably ones you dont have to pay for :-) I also had a thingy long ago that i used with the 1901 census where it sorted it all out for you - what was that and where did I get it?????? As you can see I am well and truly past my best before date!!!!!!

Geoff

Geoff Report 24 Oct 2004 20:32

1901 Census decoder from www.censusdecoder.*com (remove *) (It finds the 1901 census itself)

Carol

Carol Report 24 Oct 2004 21:22

http://www(.)familysearch(.)org/Eng/Search/frameset_search(.)asp 1881 census is viewable for free

Carol

Carol Report 24 Oct 2004 21:25

The 1891 and parts of 1871 and 1901 are available on ancestry (.)co(.)uk but there is a subscription. Some counties have their own listings for free. You should be able to find what is on offer here http://www(.)ukbmd(.)org.uk/index(.)php

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Oct 2004 22:11

Apart from the 1901 census, 1881 mentioned above, other censuses 1891 & 1871 are available on subscription at ancestry, though you can pay £6 to see 20 entries. If you google a place and date with the word census you may find some free transcriptions - there's definitely stuff for parts of Norfolk, Gloucestershire, Warwickshire and Cornwall. BUT they are only transcriptions, and in my experience you do need to see the whole thing. You can certainly find out what's where though. On the homepage of this website there's a Genealogy Resources section which you need to scroll down to find. That has a bit on the census in Getting Started and a section on Census Research as well. Nel

Bob

Bob Report 25 Oct 2004 12:31

enter "free census data" in the search box, above. We've been collecting lots of free sites there !