Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing voters

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lulabelle

lulabelle Report 24 Oct 2004 12:25

I am trying to find someone who was living at an unmarried mothers home on the voters list for 1913.Would anyone know if they had to live at an address for a certain amount of time, or any other reason why they would not be on this list? The only person who shows up is the superintendent of the home. I am assuming you had to be over 21 to vote in those days. Any help appreciated. Louise

Seasons

Seasons Report 24 Oct 2004 12:41

If I'm not mistaken - could well be- but I didn't think women had the vote then or if they did they had to be property owners!!!!!

Carol

Carol Report 24 Oct 2004 12:44

I think that back then, women had to be aged 30 in order to vote. Not sure when votes for women came in.

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Oct 2004 12:47

Women over 30 who were householders and married women were given the vote in 1918. Women over 21 were given the vote in 1928. Nell

lulabelle

lulabelle Report 24 Oct 2004 17:56

Thanks everyone for your help, I'll have to look for another way to find my unmarried lady. Louise