Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do you organise your Family Photos?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Giles

Giles Report 23 Oct 2004 03:35

Do you have your family photos scanned in on the computer? If so, which offline software or online website service do you use to organise them?

Chris

Chris Report 23 Oct 2004 05:38

I've put my tree on tribal pages. You can add photos and comments. I've I haven't got a photo I've put a census record or some other cert - makes it really easy to understand. Go to www(.)tribalpages(.)com remove the brackets and view a few - it tells you how to do it.

Giles

Giles Report 23 Oct 2004 06:47

I just checked out the showcases at Tribal Pages, but I'm not very impressed with their system. 1) Tree - You cannot view enough relatives on the same page, like you can at this website, including all the brothers and sisters. In other words, you can only see a very small window of your whole tree at any one time, and it's been divided up into many sections, ie. view only the descendants. IMHO, you can't beat the way they display information at Genes Reunited! 2) Photos - There is no option to say what year/period the photo was taken. Instead, you have to write in the caption what year you think the photo was taken... I don't agree with this system because the caption should only be used to describe what's happening in the photo with other details, and I think there should be a seperate attribute for period/year/date of photo. 3) Photos - You cannot assign an event to the photos, ie. "Holiday in Egypt". Although you can create a new album called "Holiday in Egypt", if you click on a person's name and see a photo of him building a sandcastle, you won't know whether that photo belongs to the "Holiday in Egypt" album or the "Trip to Brighton Beach" album, unless you browse by album to begin with. What are your thoughts on this? Any other good websites for organising your family photos?

Heather

Heather Report 23 Oct 2004 13:42

Ive got Familty Tree 2005 and you can export all photo files to that and then publish them on the net. It is nice to know they are in a few places and hence, safe for posterity.

Ann

Ann Report 23 Oct 2004 15:17

I have family photographs that are over 200 yrs old. Where are they? In a big biscuit tin that is also 100 yrs old, where they have all ways been. I haven't saved anything on disc or anywhere else. When I am gone, I don't suppose anybody will continue it. Computers will have changed and nothing will be compatable. My son has no interest in Computers and non of my rellies have one. I think mine can stay in the tin. My tree will be on a scroll. Much easier to throw away, a long with all the photos. Cynical Me never!!!!!!!!!!!! Ann. Doing it for myself.