Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 & 1891 census two different ages

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 22 Oct 2004 22:00

I have both the 1891 and 1901 census for my great grandfather on the 1891 his age is 58 and his wife 35 but on the 1901 his age is 36 and wife 35 I have checked the children and they are the same on both only the eldest son is either 16 or 13 on the 1891 and 22 on the 1901. With out the correct age cannot work out his date of birth any help please. Marilyn

Pat

Pat Report 22 Oct 2004 22:06

Have you tried looking for him on the 1881 census? (www.*familysearch.*org remove the *) That may well confirm one of the ages as being correct. Pat T

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Oct 2004 22:15

Sometimes people lied (or were confused) about their ages, and sometimes the census returns were badly written. I have a gt gt grandmother whose age was given as 35 on the transcript, but when I checked the original it read 55! Also, are the names sufficiently unusual to be sure you have the right family on both censuses? Nell

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 22 Oct 2004 22:21

Thank to you both I have tried familysearch.org but at the moment they are saying search unavailable due to maintenance thats for the 1881 census for Wales. Sadly the name I am searching is all too common in wales there seems to thousands of them William Williams but my grandfather and his brothers and sisters are on both so I assume is the right family. Will check 1881 census when they are up and running again. Many thanks Marilyn

Elaine

Elaine Report 22 Oct 2004 22:51

Marilyn, A way to get round the 'site unavailable due to maintenance' in red letters on familysearch 1881 census - Click your mouse rapidly about three times !!! Dont ask me why but it works !!!! Have been doing this all evening. Elaine x.

Elaine

Elaine Report 22 Oct 2004 22:53

Sorry should have put - click your mouse on the search button about three times . Elaine x.