Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Army Records WW1 Cany Any One Help?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Catherine from Manchester

Catherine from Manchester Report 22 Oct 2004 13:02

Hi Can anyone tell me how and if, I can obtain the records for my great grandad. I have his Army number, regiment etc, but there must be more info I can look at. Also would the army records show his date of birth? Any help would be much appreciated. Kind Regards Catherine Any interesting Army web sites any one could suggest too would be great, been on the cwgc one.

Stella

Stella Report 22 Oct 2004 13:26

try www(.)1914-1918(.)net loads of info on there.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 22 Oct 2004 14:01

Large quantities of men's service records were destroyed by enemy action during WW2. What remained was microfilmed in (roughly) alphabetical order and is on open access at Kew. Both my grandfathers' records survive. My friend's father's and grandfather's records are not there. It is a matter of luck. If the surname is uncommon and you cannot get to Kew, you could try asking for a lookup. Brenda

Carole

Carole Report 22 Oct 2004 14:10

The National Archives are putting the WW1 Campaign Medals index cards on the internet. They have got up to the letter T so far. You have to pay to download the sheet, (about £4 I think) but as you already know his regiment etc, you should be able to find the correct record. There are 6 on a page. Go to http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchives(.)gov.uk/ & take a look. I already have my grandfather's record, so if you'd like to see what it is you'd be downloading, send me a message including your email address & I will forward it to you when I get home tonight. Carole

Ann

Ann Report 22 Oct 2004 14:54

THE ARMY DO HAVE A WEB SITE THAT I FOUND INTERESTING. WWW.ARMYJOBS(.)CO(.)UK

Catherine from Manchester

Catherine from Manchester Report 22 Oct 2004 16:03

Thanks to everyone that has replied some great info catherine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 22 Oct 2004 16:26

Hi You might find it worth putting "army" or "military" into the Thread-search slot. There are several threads and there may be more info you'd find useful in those - to add to what's already been offered here. Christine