Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do you use the family search website?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bec

Bec Report 22 Oct 2004 10:32

How are people using the family search website www(.)familysearch(.)org? I have limited info so am putting in a surname (guessing first name) and a rough year of birth. Then I'm just searching through all the (hundreds!) of results! Any tips/suggestions!? Becx

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 22 Oct 2004 10:58

give us an example of what your looking for Becs Jeanette x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Oct 2004 11:04

Depends what you are looking for and how localised or uncommon that surname is. Alot of my folk stayed in the same small town so I usually look for a baptism of say James then SURNAME and put father's name, eg. Henry in parents section then search. This will give all the children baptised of that surname with first name James and a father Henry. There may be more in the country who have not been transciribed and therefore won't be on this IGI as it's called. You can refine this by date if you wish. With this smaller group of James', choose one of interest and click on that to show details. Scroll down to find batch number and click on that. I then fill in ONLY the surname. The results will show anyone with that surname, baptised in the parish within the specified time frame. You can refine that by filling in parents names as before but I find it useful to look at the bigger picture. This works best for unusual surnames of course.

Bec

Bec Report 22 Oct 2004 11:05

Jeanette - Well as an example I put in Charles Richardson born in 1851 (in Strines). His father was John Richardson born in 1816. I can't find a match :-( thanks becx

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 22 Oct 2004 11:09

As Gwyneth has said not all baptisms appear on the IGI. Did you find him on the 1881 census? Gwneth Beautifully explained Jeanette x

Bec

Bec Report 22 Oct 2004 11:12

I know my details are correct I just want to check the details of his offspring. I suppose I'll just have to be thorough and hope to find it. Thank you for all your help Becx

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 22 Oct 2004 11:16

Bec Sorry to appear dim but where's Strines? Jeanette x

Bec

Bec Report 22 Oct 2004 11:22

Good question! It comes under Stockport I think. So Derbyshire? Maybe Cheshire? becx

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 22 Oct 2004 11:55

hi, I just tried your suggestion. I put in John Irwin, father john irwin, mother Elizabeth McNeice........& I got 100 matches !!! My g g grandparents weren't that good at breeding surely !!!! LOL

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 22 Oct 2004 11:59

Bec I can't find anyone matching that description on the 1881 census. Have you asked for look ups for the 1861 and 1871 censuses and is his place of birth consistent? Jeanette x

Bec

Bec Report 22 Oct 2004 12:02

Nope not asked for any lookups until this week and then I requested them for another part of the tree. I've found this set of relations on the 1901 census. becx

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 22 Oct 2004 12:16

ok Bec I would take the info you have from the 1901 and try tracing him back through the censuses noting any changes in place of birth, age and occupation. You never know, he may well have been a policeman and then became a farmer when he retired from the force Jeanette x