Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please Help!!! Scottish Birth Certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jody

Jody Report 20 Oct 2004 23:16

How do i go around obtaining a Scottish Borth Certificate. I know My Grandfather was born in Torcross, Lanarkshire in 1899. What do i do because 1837 online only covers Engalnd and Wales

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 20 Oct 2004 23:19

there is a site called scotlandspeople its very good

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Oct 2004 23:23

Natalie Scottish records, which are slightly more detailed, started on 1 January 1855 and are with the Registrar General of Scotland at New Register House, Charlotte Square, Edinburgh, EH1 3YT, 0131 334 0380, www.gro-scotland.gov.uk. nell

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 21 Oct 2004 01:27

Hi Natalie, www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ is an excellent site and although it is a pay to view site you can, view, save and print images of many of the original documents e.g birth, death and marriages from 1855, the 1881 census contains not only the index data but also full transcripts from the source documents; the 1891 and 1901 censuses include all index entries and digital images of the original enumeration books. The problem is that the site went down on Sunday and although back online at the moment only the search facility is working, but you can't view images. Hopefully this will be restored soon. best wishes Christine p.s. If you find nothing for your Grandfather under Torrcross (I haven't heard of this place), you could maybe try Tollcross. Just a thought!