Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Kilvert Diaries - Useful resource

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 20 Oct 2004 21:18

Saw a copy of the Kilvert Diaries today. I'd never heard of this book before and flicking through it, it struck me it may be of interest to people researching the areas he lived and worked in. Rev. Francis Kilvert b.1840 chippenham wiltshire. Son of a rector. Worked himself as a rector kept diaries from 1870 to his premature death in 1879. These diaries detail every day life in the areas- Wiltshire & Radnorshire borders - where he lived and worked. they name individuals and the names of their homes. I thought how lovely it would be to read of an ancestor in a real account of the day. Try googling to find out more :) Sioux

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 20 Oct 2004 21:26

I do agree, Sioux. I have relatives (servants, of course) mentioned in both Parson Woodforde's diary and Mary Hardy's diary. Kilvert's is much more fun because it is so detailed. How I wish his wife hadn't destroyed whole chunks of it. If nothing else, I learnt that mothers called girls Thirza and Mahala on the strength of a cheap religious pamphlet going the rounds. Brenda

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Oct 2004 22:39

Many diaries of the period can be an insight into everyday life in a locality. I don't think village life would be that different in most counties. The Times newspaper is available on microfilm going back ages - when I was looking up a murder trial at the London metropolitan archives I found the front pages were dominated by the plight of cotton workers in Lancashire - they had no cotton because the USA was embroiled in civil war. It was also interesting to read the reviews of books published at the time - some of which are still in print, others sunk without trace. The ads also add period flavour. nell