Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PC Problem - Not Enough Colours

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 20 Oct 2004 20:33

See below please

Carol

Carol Report 20 Oct 2004 20:33

I have just bought a scanner and it will not install because monitor doesn`t have enough colours. I am running Windows 98SE and have tried all the different adaptors available and the best I found was Super VGA This showed 16 bit high color, so I highlighted it to change to that, computer told me it had to restart and when it did, the colour setting went back to 256 colours with only 256 and 16 available. The scanner software stated it needs 65000 colours or something like that. Is there anything else I can do, or do I just have an out of date system.

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 20 Oct 2004 21:49

Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Display > Settings Change screen size to at least 1024 x 768, select high colour or True colour, then hit the Apply button. A box should come up asking if you want to change the display setting, press OK. Screen will change to new setting and you will be asked if you want to keep these settings. Press OK. Then hit OK again to come out of the display settings menu and hopefully it will keep the new settings. Geraldine

Carol

Carol Report 20 Oct 2004 22:26

Thank you Geraldine, I have tried that, but still only have 16 or 256 colours.

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 20 Oct 2004 22:55

Hi Carol Sorry to hear it didn't work. It may be that you have the wrong or an out of date driver installed. Go to the display/settings menu as before and click on Advanced. Then check out the monitor and Graphics Adaptor makes. Note them down and then do a search for the manufacturers and see if you can download the appropriate drivers for Win 98SE and install them. Can't think of anything else at the moment. Geraldine

Bryan

Bryan Report 20 Oct 2004 23:32

only way to get it work is to replace graphic card with aleast 64 mb graphic memory but it seems that you have a old computer system with Win 98E maybe the motherboard will accept up to 32 mb graphic memory!! Remember when u have a new card ensure the driver disk should be included.

Carol

Carol Report 20 Oct 2004 23:53

Thank you both for your help. I shall try and get hold of a graphics card. The monitor is a Samtron 4Bi and I downloaded a driver for that model from Samtron website, but that didn`t help, also tried all the adaptors that I had available to me. Maybe better if I got myself an up to date computer system. Thanks once again

Carol

Carol Report 21 Oct 2004 00:17

Just had a look on ebay for a graphics card, and it is like trying to read a foreign language. All that techie stuff, and names I haven`t even heard of. Most of the 64mb ones are card only and no driver.