Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Maker?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 20 Oct 2004 15:05

I have just ordered this from the S&N Genealogy website and was wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to arrive? Cheers

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Oct 2004 16:37

Yes, I actually ordered mine a few weeks ago from S&N. They originally told me early October, but apparently had such a huge demand they're waiting for another shipment, and it will now be early November. As long as it's here for Christmas I don't mind, because Santa is bringing it for me if I'm a good girl lol :))

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 20 Oct 2004 16:52

Thanks for that info, i was hoping it would be a little quicker as desperate to get going with it but will have to patient lol. Thanks again, Claire

Heather

Heather Report 17 Nov 2004 23:56

Mine arrived within a week direct from ancestry in the states!

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 18 Nov 2004 07:54

I just ordered mine from Ancestry & it was dispatced 2 days lateer. It's on it's way !!!wooooohooooo

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Nov 2004 08:56

No, I still haven't had mine grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I email them every fortnight and last week they told me it would definitely be with me in the next week or two. My mum is worrying now in case it doesn't arrive in time for Christmas (she doesn't know what else to get me!), and I didn't realise till too late that you could order it from Ancestry and actually receive it! I will be hijacking the postman next lol! Mandy :) PS ordered it 24th September!!!

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 18 Nov 2004 17:03

My brother ordered it Mid- October for my birthday at the beginning of Novemeber. Still waiting... Have you tried ordering from TWR Computing? Is a bit cheaper on there too. Naomi

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Nov 2004 17:15

Amy, it's a highly recommended family tree software. The latest version 2005 came out recently. There is lots of family tree software but quite a few GR members speak highly of this one. I'm looking forward to building my own website with it. But don't order it from S&N!!!! Pat, you're right, but I didn't realise you could actually order stuff from Ancestry! I've got a feeling that S&N debited my card as soon as I placed the order, I'm just going to check my credit card statements. If they did, then I shall ask them for interest! Mandy :)

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Nov 2004 17:18

Hi Amy, from S&N I think it was about £29.90 inc p+p. But it was cheaper from Ancestry. Just checked - no it's ok, they haven't charged me yet. Mandy :)

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 18 Nov 2004 17:38

HI, I ordered mine about a month ago and it still shows no sign of it being on its way! Getting frustrated now, think i should have ordered it off ancestry. Claire

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 18 Nov 2004 17:40

http://www.amazon(.)co(.)uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00068P81M/202-4153057-9016618 Remove brackets Sioux

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Nov 2004 17:44

Hi Amy, no it's not something that you 'need', you just might 'want' it!! It's a CD-Rom, so you can have your tree on there instead of, or as well as, on GR. You can add photos, put in nice backgrounds, print off different things, and upload it all to your own website. A lady on here allowed me to see the website that she's just done with FTM and it looked really good. I've been doing my tree for about 6 months now, so ready to move onto more than just having my tree on GR. Hope this helps! Mandy :)

Heather

Heather Report 18 Nov 2004 20:32

Hi, I just checked what I paid for the program from ancestry and it was $42.95 including shipping costs. So thats probably about the same as you have paid to S and N guys. And I suppose that the postage for a bulk amount of them would be slower than individuals - perhaps they ship bulk rather than air mail. Dont worry, sure you will all soon have your programs and can have endless hours of pleasure working out what all the knobs and bells are for! (I havent yet - and now ancestry have sent me a mail asking if Id like to buy a video which shows me the advanced facilities and how to use them!!!).

Wade

Wade Report 18 Nov 2004 23:24

If you have a P2P client such as KAzaa or Aries etc, you will find that you can easily download Family Tree Maker version 10 for free from other users. It's a very powerful program and anyone who is serious about doing their family tree needs it or something similar. You put the program onto your harddisk and then run your tree on your PC rather thando it fromthe CD as one poster suggested. The trees on Genes reunited are way to timeconsuming to do unless you have a pretty smal tree. If you have FTM or a simialr program you can save your tree as a GEDCOM file and then upload it to genese reunited. In this way it takes just a miutes or twom to load even a 500-100 name tree onto Genes Reunited.

Heather

Heather Report 19 Nov 2004 07:57

I would add though, that if you do download free from someone else, you are prohibited from doing so and you are restricted in the internet options available on the program, as each person has their own reference when they register the program.

Wendy

Wendy Report 19 Nov 2004 22:03

Just a little comment from a committed FTM user. Please don't just put your tree on GR. Please put it on something you can access at home at any time and can BACK UP. So you don't lose it! With FTM you don't have to think. It does it for you. You put in new info and it just records it for you, so next time you print a report or a tree, the new info is there, including photos if you put them in. I think it is incredible value. Wendy

Heather

Heather Report 19 Nov 2004 22:24

Yes, get yourself a rewritable cd and put it in every time you add info to back up on to. I really made a mess of my FT after a week or so, thank gawd I just had to put the cd in and back it all up.