Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where do you look for name changes?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 20 Oct 2004 14:12

If somebody has change there name by deed poll where to you see these?

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 20 Oct 2004 14:35

Hi Sandra Try this page http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/pathways/familyhistory/gallery5/name.htm Phew! that was a long one! Jeanette x

Pat

Pat Report 20 Oct 2004 14:40

Jeanette Just an observation. Thats very strange normally we have to use brackets or asterisk for addresses, I have just copied and pasted the one you just did and it worked? Just wondered how that happened, maybe the national archives website is allowed and others arent? Strange. Pat x

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 20 Oct 2004 14:47

Sandra It's ok for .gov but you can't do it with dot c o or dot c o m Jeanette x

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 20 Oct 2004 14:47

See what I mean! lol that should have read (.)co and (.) com

Sandra

Sandra Report 20 Oct 2004 15:22

Thanks Jennette but i couldn't find anytrace I am looking for a Shelia Parrott who changed her name to Sally Allen when she was married I don't have much to go on as my Mother only know she was born after her in 1933 (oxford) Last known address for her was somewhere in Cheltenham Glocs Sandra

Sandra

Sandra Report 20 Oct 2004 17:22

NUDGE!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Oct 2004 18:33

Sandra She may not have changed her name by deed poll. You can just decide what you want to be called and be known by that name. It's perfectly legal as long as you don't chop and change, and of course some women have a "professional" name as well as a married name. nell

Heather

Heather Report 21 Oct 2004 20:42

Even if she did change her name by deed poll, she may not have gone to the expense of having it recorded. Rich people would have had it printed in the Times I believe, but to have it done it this way plus having the courts verify it would have cost a bomb. Legally, anyone can change their name all they have to do its tell everyone they have and thats it.