Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Search

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Happy

Happy Report 18 Oct 2004 00:47

Hi, Someone put up a tip about finding all the children of a marriage in a search. I cant find the thread, can someone tell me again how to do this?? Thanks Alison

Carol

Carol Report 18 Oct 2004 02:45

First you find one child, then on the bottom of the page, if there is a batch number, click on it. You will then get another search screen. Enter the parents of the first child in the boxes then click Search. You will then get all the children that are on the IGI and belonging to those parents. Hope that makes sense.

Happy

Happy Report 18 Oct 2004 04:13

Thank-you Carol and Joan, Using this method I have found three generations of siblings!! Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Now if only people in the 1700s had given their kids names other than William, John, Sarah and Anne..........

Joan

Joan Report 18 Oct 2004 08:34

There is another way too. I think its called 'Using the parents of facility'.Enter the father's name and the mother's first name on the far right hand side and select the region. Works best using just the IGI, I find. This way you can sometimes find when people have moved and had children in two or three places. You have to take care to check it all out of course. When you have the first. screen of IGI results, you can use 'refine search' and put the likely dates in... that cuts it down if there are thousands! It's brilliant! Good hunting. Joan

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 18 Oct 2004 09:04

Is this on Ancestry?? Or the LDS site?? Karen

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Oct 2004 09:54

The LDS site Karen Jeanette x

Sandra

Sandra Report 18 Oct 2004 11:05

WHERE DO WE FIND THIS?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Oct 2004 11:10

It's the LDS site www. familysearch* org. Replace * with . When you do a batch search as mentioned, if you just put the surname in the requested box but no parents, you will be shown all records for that surname in that parish in the given time frame. Remember christenings and marriages have different batch numbers ( sometimes you can just substitute M or C at the beginning of the number)

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 18 Oct 2004 11:10

hi, It's on the LDS familysearch site. But remember there are more records not on the IGI than are on it so you may not strike lucky. Gwynne

Joan

Joan Report 18 Oct 2004 15:19

Sue, when you get to having the batch number you need only put in the surname, and the parents' names as before. I was having a bit of trouble with the LDS site recently with error messages etc. so perhaps they are just busy. Good luck. Also. when you are at the stage of having loads of names, do 'refine search' and then put in a likely time span...that gets rid of a lot of irrelevant ones.Joan

Joan

Joan Report 19 Oct 2004 09:03

Sue, After 1837 the number of baptisms slowly decreases as families use civil rgistration, but I have gone on finding IGI records up to the 1860s. Joan

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 19 Oct 2004 11:14

Hi everyone. When using the parent search on the LDS site, remember to use variations for the parents. I knew I hadn't found all of the children for one marriage and instead of typing James and Martha (for example) I typed James and "." I found one listing that way (the mother's name was not written down and therefore couldn't be included in the first search for James and Martha). I think I also tried J and Martha. At any rate, you might find additional records if you alter the names. Good luck, everyone. :~) PS There were a couple of other ideas under the thread: "Did you know..." That's one of the threads that mentioned other ways to search.