Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Born In America -nWhat happens when entering the U

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sane Jayne

Sane Jayne Report 17 Oct 2004 22:54

If somebody was originally born in the 1850's in the USA would they have had to be naturalised in the UK upon entering. The 1901 census when the lady in question was married says Born USA British Subject? I know a british subject means born of British parents but dont know the answer to my question. Here's hoping somebody on GR will have the answer. Thanks in anticipation. Jayne

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Oct 2004 22:55

If you are born of British parents I think, certainly in the past, you would be British also, regardless of where you were born. nell

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 18 Oct 2004 13:53

Being born abroad to British parents means you are entitled to a British passport only by virtue of your parentage, even if your parents were abroad because of a diplomatic or forces posting. I believe, historically, that they were afraid of having any foreign "byblows" being able to claim to be British: a less than pleasant sentiment. This gets to be a problem in career-diplomat/forces families - or any other group thast works abroad, such as engineers: you get too many generations down and you can end up stateless. Christine