Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A tip for finding records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Is it a bird? is it a plane?

Is it a bird? is it a plane? Report 17 Oct 2004 14:25

Keep an eye on the Record Officer board. People who have access to records or who are visiting record offices often leave messages offering to do lookups. You never know, you might be lucky and they find something on your behalf :) If not, at least you can tick off another search from your very long lists :)

Is it a bird? is it a plane?

Is it a bird? is it a plane? Report 17 Oct 2004 15:08

I probably should add that its best not to harass people and that if you can, offer to do lookups too!

Jeanie

Jeanie Report 17 Oct 2004 16:01

My BIG TIP of the day is to use the GENUKI site. I had looked at it some time ago but it seemed too confusing for my tiny brain cell. However: We have been searching for info on my husbands grandfather, allegedly adopted by an Emily Simpson Atkins. Had found him on 1881 as living as a boarder with a family in Gloucestershire. Went on Genuki and found the 1871 census which some kind person has transcribed. There he was, with same family but described as ADOPTED. So, Emily was actually his birth mother. So, people, use this site, it has an astonishing amount of info.

Sidami

Sidami Report 17 Oct 2004 16:08

I get confused on that site Jeanie seems to take for ever trying to fing something on it....

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 17 Oct 2004 16:25

Hello If you type Genuki **** full contents into search it will take you to the place you want to research. change the ****for the area you are looking for such as genuki warwickshire full contents You will find all the information on that area plus much more Good Luck shirley