Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing Names?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

* Report 17 Oct 2004 10:58

When searching a database such as the IGI or 1881 census online or on CD and you cannot find someone try the following; Enter the surname into the given(christian) name box for any area you are looking at without adding any other information and search the database. You will almost certainly get some results which could give a connection to whoever your seeking from the name which comes up on the surname box.

Maud

Maud Report 17 Oct 2004 11:31

Never thought of trying that, must give it a go and see what happens, thanks for the tip

Lynne

Lynne Report 17 Oct 2004 11:39

Michael I just tried that and it came back telling me to enter a region. So I entered British Isles and the list came back with the surname I had entered showing as a christian name. Am I doing something wrong?

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 17 Oct 2004 12:14

No Lyn, I think that's the intentional result, if I'm reading the instructions right. I think it's based upon the theory that surnames were used as Christian names and that these should show connections, or something along those lines.

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Oct 2004 12:18

It wont work for me either. Keeps asking me for a surname??? Just given me a thought though...all my children have first names that could also be surnames. Could give people some fun 100 years down the line! Ali