Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Need Some Tips!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 16 Oct 2004 19:50

Hi, I am trying to find out about my grandfathers brothers and sisters, he was one of about eight. I know his full name and date of birth and his parents names and the address that they lived at when he was born. Is it possible for me to find out the names of his siblings from this information? If so, how would I go about it, as I've come to a dead end?! Any help / tips would be much appreciated!!

Zoe

Zoe Report 16 Oct 2004 19:51

what year was your grandad born as theres different ways to do it depending on when it happened Zoe

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Oct 2004 19:51

Victoria If it was before 1901, you could see whether anyone could find him on a census if you post all the names and info you have Ali

Victoria

Victoria Report 16 Oct 2004 19:58

thanks for the fast replies!!! My grandad is Bartholomew Parker Bulman born Newcastle 4/9/1913. His mother was Dorothy Bulman (nee Milburn) and father was called John Curry Bulman. This is all of the information I have so far.

Zoe

Zoe Report 16 Oct 2004 20:02

From 1911 any births in the GRO registers would have the mothers maiden name included. You could either find a local libraryto yourself that holds the copie sof the registers on fiche or use 1837 online. It will be long winded and you will need to check every quarter of every year until you find them all. If you find the page with the surname Bulman on then check across for the mothers maiden name that matches the one you need. You could possibly narrow the search down by only looking after they marriedor if yo know themothers age stopping by the time she'd be too old to have children. If your grandad was the youngest of the family it may be possible to find them on the 1901 - but this would be assuming that they had married and started having children before this. Zoe

Zoe

Zoe Report 16 Oct 2004 20:15

had a quick look on ancestry. Dorothy Milburn married John Bulman in Dec quarter of 1903 at Newcastle (ref 10b 146) I would imagine that they started having children by 1904 so there is a possibility that your grandad was the youngest

Jeanie

Jeanie Report 16 Oct 2004 20:26

Hi Victoria, Like you I have been trying to find the siblings of my grandfather JAMES FREW 1901 Scotland. The sad fact is that whilst I have traced back with some ease to the 1700's I cant find his siblings. Since I don't live in Scotland I can't visit local Reg. Have joined local FHS but have not found that to be helpful. So, best of luck, hope you live closer!!

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 16 Oct 2004 20:37

Go to your local Mormon Church, or look them up in the phone book to see if they have a Family History Centre. If so, you can go there, order films of the relevant PRs for a small fee and view them there to your heart's content! The staff are trained and very knowledgable and no, they dont push their religion down your throat, in fact they are not allowed to mention it. I would be totally lost without the LDS centre as my area of research is some 500 miles from where I live.