Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Living relatives

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jonathan B

Jonathan B Report 16 Oct 2004 02:31

see below

Jonathan B

Jonathan B Report 16 Oct 2004 02:32

I’ve just posted this into another thread but I thought it was of such importance that it is worthy of its own thread. The internet is like the real world, most people are great but some people aren't. In cyberspace you can masquerade as whoever you want to. On this site I can change my name at a whim, there's no accountability. Suffice to say, we can warn one another about dubious characters but all they need do is reinvent themselves as other people. On the basis of this and other scare stories circling on these boards in the last few days, I warn people against displaying or requesting information about LIVING people on this website. They are your family so keep them out of it. As I've mentioned before, I feel alot more comfortable now that my tree only shows deceased people. I guess the moral is not to allow people to get too close to you. The vast majority of people are great but you only remember the few bad ones. I'm guessing that some of you out there are fairly new to the internet. I first worked with it 10 years ago when I was at university. You grow wise to the strange and dubious characters out there. The risk is low, but forewarned is forearmed. But a sense of perspective - I've received so much good info from people on these boards and long may the spirit of this continue. Jonathan