Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how to find out my mother father name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynn

Lynn Report 15 Oct 2004 19:42

dont know my mothers fathers first name her name was kathleen may macdonald born april 1924 dont know how to find out my mother was born in birkenhead

Jonathan B

Jonathan B Report 15 Oct 2004 19:46

Lynn You have enough info to get a birth certificate. This will tell you the father and the mother's name (inlcuding her maiden name). I am not sure how you about ordering without the GRO reference number. Someone on here might know how you can get that. Jonathan

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 15 Oct 2004 19:47

You need to buy her birth certificate. 1837online (.) com is a pay-per-view site, you can buy £5 of credits or ask for a look-up. The site gives you the GRO reference, with this you can follow the links and order her birth certificate (£7). It will provide her parents' names BUT if she was illegitimate her father may not be on there. Alternatively, you can contact the local (to the event) register offcie and buy the cert there. Some RO's don't do family history but it migh be worth a go.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 15 Oct 2004 19:53

Hi The info would normally be on her birth certificate. With enough info, you should be able to get a copy either from the GRO or from the Local Records Office. It's a lot easier if you have the relevant reference - the General and Local refs aren't the same; you need the right one for the office you're applying to. 1924 is too recent for FreeBMD to have the GRO ref, and the Lancashire BMD site hasn't got that recent yet, either. 1837Online will have the GRO ref, but it's pay-per-view unless you have Ancestry membership. I don't so I can't help there, but someone else may pick up on this if you're lucky - probably before I post this ramble! Christine

Carol

Carol Report 15 Oct 2004 19:55

There is a Kathleen M McDonald registered March 1924 Wareham 5a 434 Mothers maiden surname is Christopher

Jonathan B

Jonathan B Report 15 Oct 2004 20:02

It may be correct but Wareham is in Dorset, some 250 miles from Birkenhead. Jonathan

Carol

Carol Report 15 Oct 2004 20:04

So much for my geography, I thought Wareham was in Lancashire. There is a Kathleen in Stockport, but the middle initial is different.

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 15 Oct 2004 20:40

found this: Macdonald, Kathleen M, Birkenhead 8a 807 Apr-Jun 1923, not 1924 Mother's maiden name Johnson nothing else that looks good