Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Occupation

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 14 Oct 2004 13:53

On 1901 census an ancestor is listed as a Butcher 20/1. What does the 20/1 part mean? thank you for your help Lucia

Geoff

Geoff Report 14 Oct 2004 14:05

You often get words/figures on census sheets which have clearly been added afterwards, perhaps part of the "totting up" procedure. Perhaps this is what you (or transcriber) are seeing.

Anne

Anne Report 14 Oct 2004 14:11

I think that it was a way of coding occupations when the clerks were doing the adding up. I think I've seen a list of what the numbers mean but can't remember where. Anne

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 14 Oct 2004 14:16

thanks Anne and Geoff

Geoff

Geoff Report 14 Oct 2004 15:12

It looks like Anne is right - I've just checked some of my 1891 images. All of the men working in a foundry seem to have "O 21/8" after their occupation while a shoemaker has "13" (or 1B).