Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parish burial records - what is included?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Poolie Girl

Poolie Girl Report 12 Oct 2004 22:56

Do parish records include any family details other than the deceased's name and age? Could I for example find a spouse or parent's name included? Beth :)

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 12 Oct 2004 23:20

Hi Beth. It purely depends on the person recording the details. I have found some with just a name and age, but others which say name, position in family, parents, age and cause of death. And of course all the variations in between!! I think less is commoner than more though, but you never know! Maz. XX

Judith

Judith Report 12 Oct 2004 23:28

Here's a selection of entries from an early 19th century burial register to give an idea of the detail you might find: 1800 17th March Thomas Evered Barrow Barber 81 1805 16 June Catherine Evered spinster dau of the late Tho E Butcher (see 17 Mar 1800 ) 1809 Dec 18th Ellen Evered Barrow wife of Edward Evered 65 1811 Feby 20th Mary wife of Thomas Death Barrow 38 1811/12 Jan 10th Susan Barrow dau of Thomas & Mary Death 20 weeks 1812 June 25th Thomas Death Barrow Butcher 48 Good hunting Judith

Poolie Girl

Poolie Girl Report 13 Oct 2004 06:43

Thanks folks - guess its down to luck now! Beth :)

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 13 Oct 2004 08:34

Hi, Some family history societies have recorded Memorial inscriptions which do sometimes give a lot of extra information. These are usually sold in fiche format and there will be a copy in the county record office. Gwynne