Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

pre 1600 records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Diane-Lee

Diane-Lee Report 12 Oct 2004 20:22

can anyone tell me how to find rellies in pre 1600s been on igi but records on there dont go back that far for area im looking into.area is horbury yorkshire.thank you

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Oct 2004 20:24

hi - there may be some records held in wakefield - or in parish records in horbury - try Wakefield Family History Society

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 12 Oct 2004 21:13

Wills, manorial records, inquisitons post mortem, lay subsidy records, land deeds, court records can all help provide information about families pre 1600. Many of these records are in latin: they are held mainly in county record offices but also in the National Archives. Record societies have often translated the more interesting documents. Parish registers pre 1600, where they survive, should be treated with a degree of scepticism as they are usually transcripts of the original records, which would have been on loose pieces of paper. Brenda

Diane-Lee

Diane-Lee Report 13 Oct 2004 06:07

Thanks Brenda & Sheila i think there is a family history society open day in november at the cathedral high school it may be worth my going to it. Best wishes Diane