Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Canadian help wanted

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 12 Oct 2004 18:28

Hi all I am desperately trying to trace my great grandfather Edgar John BARNES born c1878 in Warwickshire. He had 3 children Jack, Phyllis and Sidney. In about 1913, about a year after Sidney was born, he split from his wife Bertha WHITE and moved to Toronto, Canada and had family there. I know that whilst in Toronto, Edgar played in the Toronoto Symphony Orchestra and also ran or owned an antiques shop. Does any one have any ideas how I can trace him in Canada? All help will be greatly received. Thanks Elizabeth Gee

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 12 Oct 2004 19:03

Elizabeth, do you have any other information about him? I was born in Toronto, but live in the States now. I don't know how to research people after 1900, but if you have an idea of where he lived, I could give you cemetery names and you could start there. (The staff for the cemeteries in Toronto have been very helpful to me.) Here's a telephone directory for Canada: http://findaperson.canada411.ca/

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 14 Oct 2004 16:22

Lisa I have located some old letters that Edgar sent to my grandad, his son Sidney. The last dated one is around 1960 and the address looks like Gerrard St. That is about all the info I have? Cheers for the address you gave me Im off to try it now Elizabeth

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 26 Oct 2004 17:56

Hi Elizabeth. I've sent you an email.

Barbara

Barbara Report 26 Oct 2004 18:48

This is the Ontario Cemetery finding Aid site - you might find it useful in your search. http://www.islandnet(.)com/ocfa/ Barbara