Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can someone please help with a Gedcom Attachment I

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 12 Oct 2004 01:06

see below please

Carol

Carol Report 12 Oct 2004 01:06

Someone researching one of my names has sent me a gedcom. I have a family history programme, but dont seem to be able to get the gedcom off my email. If I click on the file, it just comes up as a text file, although the format is gedcom. How can I convert this into a proper gedcom file please

Geoff

Geoff Report 12 Oct 2004 08:15

Drag the file from the e-mail onto your desktop. Open your Family Tree program - under "File" you may have an option to "Import Gedcom". Alternatively, download PAF5 from www.familysearch.org and load it into there.

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 12 Oct 2004 09:36

Gedcoms are a type of text file, written in a special way. Normally clicking on them will start up any family tree program. If you right click on a Gedcom and select "open with" you can select a program (notepad can view gedcoms). If you right click then "properties" you will get a box saying gedcom "open with" if it says "notepad" there is a box "change" this allows you to select the program which opens these files (paf etc). It will keep these settings. When you install a family tree program it will normally set this up for you. (this is XP. shuld be similar for other systems) So your Gedcom is a proper one, it's just that your PC doesn't know what you want to do with it, edit it in notepad or build a tree. Computers are not that smart, you have to tell it. (If you have more than one tree program you need to know this as well) Bob