Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Should I trust IGI

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue from Wakefield

Sue from Wakefield Report 11 Oct 2004 19:52

When starting this family tree lark I only went on the net. I took all the info as gospel!! I got back to a point where I was looking for a family in the early/middle 1800s. The IGI stated parents as being Ann and David. 1837(.)com showed no marriage whatsoever for this couple and neither did St Catherines house. When I finally went to the register office to get Ann and David's kids birth and marriage cert......David was their father....but he was the Lodger and not Anns Hubby as the IGI said. The kids were illegitimate and the name of David only turned up on the childrens wedding cert.......Is this common....have I just dropped unlucky....do I tell the LDS site...and if so how??........Sue PS Ann was married to James xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Oct 2004 19:57

The IGI is fallible - as are all records. It does provide a good guide as to where to check originals. I've found lots of my forebears this way. It may be that James thought he was their father, or that he pretended he was to make their baptism "respectable", but that their mother wanted the truth on their certs - I take it she registered them? The LDS don't make any amendments to the IGI. Crazy I know, particularly when you find several different birth records all giving the same info for the same person, but there you are. Just be glad you were able to check the info against another record. nell

Sue from Wakefield

Sue from Wakefield Report 11 Oct 2004 20:07

Hi Helen, This was an easy mistake to spot really as James died in 1846 and the children were born in 1851 and 1854 lol. I didn't know that at the time I was checking though. But under no circumstance could James have been their Dad...I wonder why the LDS don't make ammends to their records?? Sue xx

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 11 Oct 2004 20:22

Hi Sue Am I correct in thinking that the IGI shows the BAPTISM of the children? Or is it the BIRTH? Towards the bottom of each entry when you drill down there should be a statement saying where the information comes from. If it is a baptism and comes from filmed original records that have been transcribed, then it is no more unlikely to be incorrect than any transcription. If it comes from a fellow researcher, then it is as accurate as that researcher chooses to be. In either case, the information should be checked. If a fellow researcher has submitted the details, then you have a cousin out there! And someone else on the boards can probably tell you whether it is possible to make contact with that person. Brenda

Sue from Wakefield

Sue from Wakefield Report 11 Oct 2004 22:55

Hi Brends after reading your reply, 've gone back onto LDS and checked source of info. Yup it was a fellow researcher. What I think has happened is that they have got the kids wedding cert. Seen the name of father on it and just left at that point, added no more to the tree and then along comes me lol The IGI actually says the kids date of birth...that's how I knew to get their certs...so not all of the info was wrong.....just a tiny detail like fathers name ha ha Lyla lol!! Sue xx