Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

St Caths Index

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stardust

Stardust Report 10 Oct 2004 12:45

Our State Library has recently obtained a copy of the St.Catherines Index. Does anyone know how this is set out ? is it similar to free bmd. Thanks for any help. Grace R

Carol

Carol Report 10 Oct 2004 13:39

Hello Grace, They have probably got it on fiche. In which case, it will be set out by event (birth, marriage, death) These will be divided into years and each year divided into quarters. I dont expect they will have an index as FreeBMD does, you will have to physically search through the fiche to find what you are looking for, similar to 1837online. Hope this helps.

Janet

Janet Report 10 Oct 2004 17:39

Grace St Caths Index is the old name for the present GRO. When the registers were in St Catherine's house in London it was always known as the St Caths Index and certificates were obtained through Southport but when the indexes were moved to the present day Family Records Centre at Myddleton Street London in the early 1990's it then became known as the General Register Office Index or GRO for short but still obtaining the certs through the Southport Office(which is the General Register Office- GRO). I think that countries like Australia etc still use the old St Caths name. But as it is the main Index for the Certificates it will therefore have fewer mistakes than BMD and 1837 online but will be on fiche. It is free to access, unlike 1837 online and will be more up to date than Free BMD, which only goes to about 1910, but it is not indexed so you will have to physically trawl through each quarter for each year as Carol has suggested. Janet

Stardust

Stardust Report 12 Oct 2004 05:38

Thanks for your help Carol and Janet. To think I used to live just a couple of minutes from the Family whatsit Centre in Myddleton Street. Still I wasn't interested in family trees then, mores the pity. Once again - thanks you Grace R

Martin

Martin Report 12 Oct 2004 07:52

I haven't used the fiches for a few years but each fiche is only indexed by the first three letters of the surname - same as the 1837online website used to be. You soon get a feel where to look for your surname in those three letters and can go through the fiche quite fast. Martin