Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

what do you do when there is an * for GRO number?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 9 Oct 2004 15:05

Two of my people have an asterix at the beginning of the page number. I can't order a certificate for them. What can I do? thanks

Karen

Karen Report 9 Oct 2004 15:28

Hiya Is this on Free BMD? This is where the transcribers couldnt read the number. You could put a request on the Records office thread for someone to look on 1837 for you to see if they can read the number or to send you the image. The other option is on Free BMD to put in no surname and search under the quarter and month and place that your looking for, this will bring up everyone who has entries under those details which may help you work out the number (hope this makes sense). Good luck. Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 9 Oct 2004 15:33

hi it is the same on Free BMD and on Ancestry IRWIN, Elizabeth 1862 March Farnham Hampshire Surrey 2a *6 I'll have another read of your suggestion & give it a go. Thanks

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 9 Oct 2004 16:07

thanks you so much !! Karen

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 9 Oct 2004 18:04

Hi Karen I don't know about paid-Ancestry, but the free-access search uses a copy of the FreeBMD database - and not necessarily the very latest if it's just been updated. That means that: if it ain't on FreeBMD, it ain't on Ancestry. It can still be worth using Ancestry because it has different search capabilities. Presumably there's more than one copy of the GRO index pages? Is that why some images are easier to read than others? or is it just a matter of the imaging? [This is where I expose my knowledge gaps!] Christine

Martin

Martin Report 9 Oct 2004 18:26

I don't think the reference number matters if you order from the local Register Office. If you can quote a date then that should be enough. MB

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 9 Oct 2004 20:34

If you order from a local office they don't use the GRO references anyway - they have their own. The date is the main thing - plus any corroborative info you can dredge up. Christine

Sandra S

Sandra S Report 10 Oct 2004 13:39

Hi Karen I noticed that you live on the other side of the world, I on the other hand used to live in Farnham, Surrey. I know Farnham really well. I now live in Aldershot, which is about 2 miles away, but I'm in Farnham most of the time (due to my daughter going to Farnham College - taxi service) If you have an address, I could take a photo of the house where they were born, an email it on to you. Sandra