Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP!! GRO index

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kerrie

Kerrie Report 8 Oct 2004 20:20

Hello, is there any way I can find out the parents of a child without buying a birth certificate.??????????????? Kerrie

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Oct 2004 20:22

Possibly. You may find the parents in the baptism register. These registers are in local record offices. Or, if its 1901 or before, you may find the child with their parents on the census. nell

Kerrie

Kerrie Report 8 Oct 2004 20:47

Thanks Helen, The birth I'm looking for is in Haltwhistle, Northumberland. It's quite hard for me to look at the registers becasuse I live miles away in Runcorn, Cheshire. The parents married in 1907, so the census won't be any help. The only known child was born in 1921 (my Grandfather). He died in 1991, one of the main reasons that I am doing my family tree is to see if my Grandfather had any brothers or sisters, as my Father knows nothing of his Northumberland family if there is one. I have looked at the freebmd website and come up with "possible" brother and sisters for him. Thanks for your help Kerrie

Wendy

Wendy Report 8 Oct 2004 21:03

Kerrie, I believe Haltwhistle records are at Morpeth Record Office. Try ringing them on 0191 236 2680. Give them the info you have and see if they can help. Wendy

Kerrie

Kerrie Report 8 Oct 2004 21:37

Thanks Wendy, I'll try that Kerrie

Ken

Ken Report 19 Nov 2004 13:29

I can sympathise here. In order to find the name of my G'Grandfather and the name of my G'Grandfather's wife, I have to order up a birth cert for Grandfather then to try and locate his wife I have to order a marraige cert. I have the marraige year of my G'Grandfather, but it doesn't give his wife's details! Any tips?

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 19 Nov 2004 13:40

Kerrie, if the parents surnames are unusual, then it's possible that the births you have found are siblings. I recently ordered a Mason/Searle certificate, convinced that the combination must be unique and of course it wasn't. Even with rare names, there is the possibility that brothers have married sisters.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 19 Nov 2004 13:43

Ken, I assume the marriage you are looking for is before 1911? If so, it stands a reasonable chance of being on freebmd. If you search that site and click on the page number, it will come up with the other names listed on that page. The site hasn't indexed every event yet, and some things are missing, but it's worth looking at. Brenda