Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

VDA?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Duncan

Duncan Report 6 Oct 2004 22:07

Hi does anybody know what the VDA could be apparrently my grandmother wanted to join but couldn't afford the uniform and went into service instead.

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2004 22:12

Duncan I think you might possibly mean VAD, which was Voluntary Aid Detachments. These were set up in 1910 to supplement existing nursing services. They were organised through the Red Cross & St John. At the beginning of WW1, about 5,300 women volunteered to help hospitals, and another 47,000 enlisted into branches throughout England. They were supposed to be 19 or older. Many middleclass girls joined, including Vera Brittain, who writes of her VAD work in "Testament of Youth". The uniform cost £22! [source: ALL QUIET ON THE HOME FRONT: an oral history of life in Britain during the First World War, by Richard Van Emden & Steve Humphries.] nell

Duncan

Duncan Report 7 Oct 2004 10:53

thank you helen i think that may be it it fits in with the dates i have