Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stuggling with 1891

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 6 Oct 2004 15:00

I cant find the rellies i need on this census at all, is all of it on ancestry which is what im subscribed to. Thanks, Claire

Tiamo

Tiamo Report 6 Oct 2004 15:07

Which county are you looking for?? A list of available counties appears at the bottom of the search screen. They are not all complete.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Oct 2004 15:07

As far as I know 1891 is supposed to be complete. What names, ages, areas etc. are you looking for? Kath.

Stuart

Stuart Report 6 Oct 2004 15:12

Ancestry does claim that its 1891 Census coverage is complete but I've found that the indexing is far from perfect. Some understandable errors are due to the difficulty of reading old handwriting - have you tried alternative spellings for unusual names? I've also come across an example where an entire household named "Conqueror" were indexed under "Kelly" - the name of their next-door neighbours. On the plus side the image quality is very good and the service is quite reasonably priced. Persevere and you should get somewhere.

Angela

Angela Report 6 Oct 2004 15:38

I have had problems with finding people on the censuses and in both cases found that the name had been misread. The name of Slatter of indexed as Statter on one and Hatter on another. You may need to be creative in the spelling.

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 6 Oct 2004 15:53

Thanks for all your replies, Im searching for Sarah E A Eastwood on the 1891, born Sheffield around 1867 and lived still in Sheffield. Have her on the 1881 with surname as Booth, have her on the 1901 as Eastwood but cant find her on 1871 which i know is because all of Yorkshire isnt on that yet. But also 1891 which i did think was supposed to be complete. She should definately be Eastwood on 1891 as her marriage was 1889 but i also cant find her husband, William H on this either. Getting frustrated, lol. Claire