Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Church Yard/Cemetery

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stewart

Stewart Report 6 Oct 2004 14:40

Does the church have a record of burials and where each person is buried in the churchyard or cemetery? Or are these records held at the local record office? I know I have family buried in a certain churchyard but I don't want to spend all day trapsing round looking at graves (believe me, I've done that 3 or 4 times already!) cheers Stew

Paul

Paul Report 6 Oct 2004 14:50

Hi Stew, If you know where a certain relative is buried go to your local Civic Centre and ask for the parks and gardens dept. Once there ask to see the records for the cemetary concerned tell them anything but DO NOT tell them its for family history reasons as they charge for the service and the last time I checked it was £8 per person. Also if you have a common name such as Smith or Jones it would help you to know the LKA of the deceased. Please let me know how you get on. Best Wishes Paul Blades P.S. I've done this myself and it does work.

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2004 16:43

The record office would have the C of E burials register. nell

Sam

Sam Report 6 Oct 2004 22:35

Hi Stew I don't know what area you are in but in Stoke on Trent, the main Cemetery/Crematorium hold all the records for all the cemeteries/graveyards in Stoke on Trent. All we have to do here is phone them with the date of death/burial and the cemetery concerned and they will tell you over the phone the plot number etc. If its a really old grave they prefer you to write but still come back to you with the information. And a map if you ask nicely! You may find a similar set up in the area you are researching. Sam

Theresa

Theresa Report 6 Oct 2004 23:04

HI Stew I found my grand mothers grave by going to the local cemetery And asked at the office they gave me a map and pointed me in the right direction they also told me who was buried in the grave with her. plus dates of that persons death etc. This was a cemetery in enfield dont know if differnet areas have different rules. Theresa

Doreen

Doreen Report 7 Oct 2004 19:08

Hi Stew, I knew my cousin was buried in our local churchyard so I went to the church and spoke to the vicar. I didn't even know the year he died but the vicar had a register of names and the year they were buried, it then help me trace his death record on 1837. So it may be worth you taking a trip to the church first. regards Doreen

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 7 Oct 2004 20:34

Yes Stewart, if the burial is in a churchyard then the church should have a plan of the plots showing who is/was where - even if there is no headstone. Contact the vicar or parish clerk direct. If they haven't, then they should know who HAS!! Maz. XX