Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Independant Consumer tests on family tree software

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 6 Oct 2004 10:13

My husband asked me to write a list of what I would like for Christmas. I've become hooked on genealogy, so now my wish list is quite simple... some good family tree software to repalce the awful program I got free from a newpaper a while ago, and have been struggling with ever since. (I know some people say it's a waste of money buying a program, when good free downloads are available, but while my husband's in a generous mood, I may as well go for the best, which usually means paying). So I turned to these message boards for advice on which software to buy. I have read all the threads which come up when I input 'software' to the search facility but I am now more confused than ever. Trouble is that there is no clear consensus from all you helpful people; everyone recommends the one they use as the best. Does anyone know if any independant consumer tests have been published on family tree software? (eg Which?) If not, these are my requirements, and if anyone can recommend that the software they use does all this, then I will be happy! 1. Well designed clear layout, both on the screen and on print-outs of trees 2. Quick and easy to navigate the software 3. State of the art, but not so professional or technical you need a PhD 4. Able to include photos 5. Ability to print in multi colours 6. Capacity for families of 15 children 7. Allows you to choose what and how many details are included on a print-out of a tree 8. Gedcom of course 9. Able to print a whole family tree in various formats 10. Lets you choose your own index or reference number for individuals. 11. Generally flexible eg with choice of date styles etc. 12 Allows a choice of whether individuals are alpha-sortedby christian name or surname. Is this asking too much? Any advice greatly appreciated

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 6 Oct 2004 10:40

Hi Heather I know what you mean about being confused! I still haven't got a family tree program myself either. I don't know about consumer tests but has anyone mention Heredis to you? Go to http://www.myheredis(.)com/ Remove brackets Somebody recommended this to me although I haven't got round to trying int yet. There is a free download to try but you can then buy the Premium Edition which is all singing, all dancing! Jeanette x

Eagles 4

Eagles 4 Report 6 Oct 2004 11:13

I've just tried to download this and got the following message: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005' [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified /download_standard.asp, line 79 ???????????????? any ideas anyone?

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 6 Oct 2004 11:22

Haven't got a clue Sue! lol I'll have a go myself and see what happens Jeanette x

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 6 Oct 2004 11:29

Sue I got and http 500 internal server error whatever one of those is! lol. Might be worth trying agian later Jeanette x

BABZ...

BABZ... Report 6 Oct 2004 11:35

Heather I have been using 'Relatively Yours II' for over 18 months since my daughter asked me to enter the family details in it for her. It seems to have all of the requirements you stipulate. As this is the first one I have ever used, I can't compare it to others on the market. It took me 1 day to learn how to use it with out reading the manual.....its that easy! Cost about 100 Australian dollars.... ...Babz

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2004 11:59

Someone else had recommended Family Tree Maker - like Dwain - and the latest version (11) is due out any day now. My parents are getting it for me for Christmas (have already ordered it from Santa no less) and I can't wait to get it, as you can also upload it to create a website. Mandy :)))

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 6 Oct 2004 12:20

That sounds good Mandy. How much is it? Jeanette x

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2004 12:46

I stand corrected Dwain, you're quite right. Just before I ordered, someone told me that version 11 was the latest, so I assumed that was what I was getting. However, I've just checked the order confirmation and mine will be version 2005, which is due out any day now. I ordered it from S&N Genealogical Supplies and it was £29.99 including postage and packing.

Sue

Sue Report 6 Oct 2004 13:37

I've already got Family Tree Maker v6, which I have found easy to use and does everything I want. But it is my birthday later this month and I keep reminding my husband and hope that he treats me to Family Tree Maker 2005. It is reviewed in the November issue of "Your Family Tree" and looks very good and worth having. Sue

Heather

Heather Report 6 Oct 2004 18:48

Hi, I got my Family Tree 2005 a week ago and its been pretty easy to use. You can open files in all different formats and a genealogy report is configured automatically for you. To add photos you just click on your file - on top of that you can transport it all to a family home page on the internet. I have also asked Google to accept the home page so it will be available to other people searching my names. It cost me about £30 including postage from the states, ancestry(.)com sell it on line. By the way, Sue, you dont have to buy a whole new program, ancestry can sell you just an update for the one you already have.

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 6 Oct 2004 18:57

Do not use Compton's Family Tree. It's dreadful for adding people. If you add a mother to a son, you then have to tell the programme that she has a child. To link a family of four requires adding twelve relationship links.