Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Importing GEDCOM file to GR - How ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark

Mark Report 5 Oct 2004 20:45

I am having trouble importing my Gedcom files to G.R. I have followed all the instructions (my name is the only one on my tree, having deleted everything else, and my name appears on the Gedcom file). I use 'Family Tree Maker' which is meant to be compatible, but have tried several times to import and all I get is an error message. I don't want to type all my family tree details in one at a time ! HELP ! (Please)

Craig

Craig Report 5 Oct 2004 20:54

I've had similar problems. One stupid thing I was doing was creating a GEDCOM but then trying to up load the actual family tree file rather than the GEDCOM. It's worth checking, you never know! I've also found that sometimes when I've uploaded a GEDCOM I get an error message but look at my tree the next day and it has miraculously appeared! I'd try a couple more times before you throw in the towel.

Heather

Heather Report 5 Oct 2004 21:02

I am no techi, but I just got my Family Tree 2005 program. When I tried to export it to a family home page I got the error message - bad host name. Anyway, after a lot of fiddling I realised that my firewall was preventing the information being transported. Once I disabled the firewall it went through fine. Obviously, remember to put the firewall back on afterwards.